Navigation

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

VS2010 Migration

Migrating to a new development IDE brings a number of issues when developing line of business applications.  With all the exciting features in VS2010 we still have to consider issues like third party component issues, Net Framework 4 availability on client machines, mixing of development IDE’s (VS2008, VS2010) and many other minor issues.

Im my migration from VS2008 and Source Gear Fortress source control to VS2010 and team foundation 2010 I am making baby steps.  First, I completed a long over due update to my Fortress source control (server and client) that addressed many existing bugs and brought VS2010 support.  Second, I have decided to start using VS2010 for new server based applications where Framework 4 deployment is not as much of an issue. Third, I have delayed adopting team foundation server 2010 until the IDE migration is completed.  This will allow me and my team time to get use to the IDE and test team foundation server.

Over the next few days I will be working on a few production projects using VS2010 targeting both 3.5SP1 and 4 frameworks using Fortress source control to test the waters.  I am also getting use to team foundation server 2010 by running sample applications in VS2010 and using TFS for source control.  This provides a nice test environment that allows me to get use to both VS2010 and TFS without compromising my production environment. 

No comments: