The SQL server team at MS just released the first CPT of the next version of SQL Server code named Denali.
A few of the areas that the team focused on were;
· Enhanced mission-critical platform: An enhanced highly available and scalable platform through the new SQL Server AlwaysOn for greater flexibility in achieving increased availability and data protection and new Column-Based Query Accelerator for huge performance gains in data warehousing.
· Developer and IT Productivity: A new unified development experience for data developers called SQL Server Developer Tools code-named “Juneau”, new beyond relational enhancements including FileTable for file storage within the SQL Server database, easier of use delivered via SQL Server AlwaysOn, data integration tools and features such as security & supportability.
· Pervasive Insight: Expand the reach of BI to business users via Project code-name “Crescent”, a highly interactive, web-based data exploration and visualization tool built on the breakthrough analytical performance of the VertiPaq technology. Meanwhile, holistic data integration and management tools through enhanced Master Data Services and new Data Quality Services will help ensure organizations can deliver the right data to the right users at the right time.
· Select capabilities of the new integrated high availability solution, SQL Server code-named “Denali” AlwaysOn, including availability groups, single active secondary for offloading read-only workloads and multi-site clustering
· Flexible server roles to allow administrators to create custom roles for ease separation of duties
· Simplified development and standardized deployment, configuration and management for SQL Server Integration Services
· Column-Based Query Accelerator will help dramatically increase query performance ~10x and reduce performance tuning through interactive experiences with data for near instant response times and streamlined setup which removes the need to build summary aggregates.
You can download the CPT at; http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=6a04f16f-f6be-4f92-9c92-f7e5677d91f9&displaylang=en